A summary of the North Korea–United States summit
On June 12 Donald Trump, the President of the United States, met with Kim Jong-un, the leader of North Korea, in Singapore, in the first summit meeting between the leaders of the two countries. Here is a summary of the summit:
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un arrived at Capella Hotel first before United States President Donald Trump arrived six minutes later. They started the summit at 9:05am local time with a 12-second handshake and then participated in a one-on-one meeting, with interpreters only.
Trump and Kim emerged from the one-on-one talks and walked down the corridor to the Cassia where the expanded bilateral meeting took place. Trump described the one-on-one meeting as "very very good" when asked by a reporter.
Expanded bilateral meeting and working lunch
Both countries' delegations proceeded to participate in an expanded bilateral meeting and a working lunch.
Both delegations dined together on Korean, Southeast Asian and Western dishes with ice cream, tropézienne, and dark chocolate tartlet ganache as dessert. After the lunch, Trump and Kim took a short walk together and viewed the interior of the Presidential state car.
Joint signing ceremony
Subsequently, Trump and Kim signed a joint statement, titled "Joint Statement of President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea at the Singapore Summit", which Trump described as a "very important" and "comprehensive" agreement.
The document said:
"President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un state the following:
- The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new U.S.-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
- The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
- Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work towards the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.
- In addition to the numbered provisions, the joint statement also mentions Trump's commitment to provide security guarantees to North Korea. Follow-up negotiations between Pompeo and an undetermined high-level North Korean official are also called for by the joint statement."
US news conference
President Trump held a news conference at 16:15 local time which lasted for more than an hour. In his news conference, Trump said that further discussions will take place with North Korean officials and that he would consider visiting Pyongyang.
Referring to his commitment in the Joint Statement to "provide security guarantees" to North Korea, Trump announced the end of the joint military exercises with the South Korean military, which he described as "war games", and he expressed his hope that the removal of 32,000 American troops defending South Korea would become part of the equation. The next round of joint military exercises were scheduled for late August.
End of summit
Trump left Singapore from Paya Lebar Air Base at around 18:30 local time, earlier than his planned departure time of 19:00 while Kim Jong-un left Singapore from Changi Airport at around 22:30.